In the early 2,000’s I discovered a powerful tool for helping my own son find connection and joy. He and his friends. Found lasertag to be competitive, but strategically flexible; a unique forum where players find equal footing, regardless of being boy or girl, “jocks” or “gamers;” tween, or parent of tweens. Anyone can play; anyone can win, and; everyone can have tremendous fun.
So, I took the leap in 2010 and invested tens of thousands of dollars in the best commercial lasertag equipment on the market. Only then did I discover something deeper, at the intersection of this strange electronic game, and my personality, I found I could bring people out of their shells.
• At the company event where I help the stoic CEO say ‘thankyou’ to his team.
• At the high school grad event where newly minted adults run in the halls for the very last time.
• At the Christian boys camp where the delightful character of the next generation is on full display.
• At the combined bachelor and bachelorette party where “boys vs girls” gets taken to a whole new level.
• At the birthday party where the extrovert, and the shy kid, and the birthday boy and his little brother all engage in the fun… (and even Mom, for whom it may have been the first time she’s really played with her tween in months)
Lasertag is a very strange business for an accountant, but it’s my passion because through it I can create joyful experiences, connections and memories.
Lasertag feeds my soul!